Social Cohesion Project Coordinator
Duty Station: Belgrade with extensive local travel
Classification: Special Short Term
Type of Appointment: 12 months (with possibility of extension)
Reference Code: SVN-2017/13 – Social Cohesion Project Coordinator
The consortium of UN agencies (IOM, WHO, UNDP and UNOPS) are jointly implementing an EU-funded project “Open Communities – Successful Communities” to encourage acceptance and increase understanding of issues that the migrants/refugees are facing through building relationships between host communities and migrants/refugees as well as through the improvement of communal infrastructure and health care system. As part of the joint project, IOM implements activities to bolster community cohesion, inter-cultural exchange and flow of information for better acceptance of important migration issues in local communities.
Under the overall supervision of the Head of Office and in coordination with Migrant Assistance Focal Point, the incumbents will coordinate the implementation of IOM activities within the project “Open Communities – Successful Communities” to achieve planned results in accordance with the work plan. In particular, the Social Cohesion Project Coordinator fulfills the following functions:
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Manages the implementation of IOM activities in the joint project, in line with project work plan and towards achievement of IOM results;
- Coordinates the implementation of IOM activities with other components’ activities, and updates component work plan in accordance with the overall project plans;
- Acts as responsible person for the mobilization of resources needed for effective project activities’ implementation;
- Manages expenditures in line with IOM rules and prepares periodical financial reports and budget revisions;
- Prepares periodical interim and final reports and provides timely and reliable input to the project lead agency, UN and external partners;
- Act as intermediate between the beneficiaries, donor and the IOM for the planning and implementation of project activities;
- Monitors progress regularly, evaluates results, and increases effectiveness by recommending appropriate actions to IOM and project partners;
- Identify constraints and obstacles to the implementation of project, and propose timely solutions;
- Ensures adequate visibility and publicity of project results and IOM’s work in the project and works closely with other agencies in the implementation of the project communication strategy;
- Participate in project monitoring with the aim of attaining effective management and adequate burn rate;
- Represent IOM at relevant meetings, and other events to promote project activities and disseminate results;
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned by the IOM Head of Office.
- Takes responsibility and manages constructive criticism;
- Works effectively with all clients and stakeholders;
- Communicates clearly;
- Takes initiative and drives high levels of performance management;
- Plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within the area of responsibility;
- Contributes to a collegial team environment;
- Works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
- Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations and under tight deadlines;
- Effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners/stakeholders;
- Works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives.
Qualifications and Experience
- University degree in Social/Political Science/Psychology;
- Experience in field work and migrant protection;
- At least five years of experience in project management;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities and local communities, as well as national and international institutions;
- Analytical skills, including ability to draft clearly and concisely;
- Good level of computer literacy;
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility, drive for results, respect for diversity, creative thinking.
Good command of spoken and written English language.
Method of application:
The vacancy is open for internal and external candidates that have the legal right to reside and work in Serbia.
We invite all interested candidates to submit their applications as soon as possible by sending IOM Personal History form in English language available at https://serbia.iom.int/vacancy and a motivation letter of not more than one page, electronically.
The deadline for submission is 15.08.2017. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The start of contract is expected by end of August 2017.