Civil Rights Defenders office in Belgrade is announcing an opening for the position:
Civil Rights Defenders is an independent expert organisation founded in Stockholm, Sweden in 1982, with the aim of defending people’s civil and political rights. Our work stretches from our own backyard to countries and regions all over the world. One of our main tasks is to empower our partners – brave human rights defenders, who often put themselves at great risk through their engagement in other people’s rights. We believe that a world where people’s rights and liberties are respected is a safer world to live in.
Programme Officer for is responsible for carrying out activities within our programme in Serbia and the region as well as taking care of all relations with local partners. PO duties includes:
- Follow and analyse the human rights situation in respective countries and the Western Balkans
- Work from Belgrade office and frequent travel to respective WB countries
- Identify, assess and propose new partners and activities for the further development of the our programme
- Conduct human rights activities together with partners
- Initiate and participate in lobbying and advocacy actions with local organisations and human rights defenders
- Monitor, evaluate and report on partnerships and activities
- Be a capacity building resource for our partners
- Provide the management with draft editorials and supportive documents for debates, etc, and write articles, appeals and statements for our website and media
- Establish and maintain contacts with relevant decision makers in Western Balkans, Sweden and internationally
As a Programme Officer you will be working at our field office in Belgrade, supervised by Western Balkans Programme Director. After probation period, full-time contract will be offered.
A university degree in law, political science, philology, sociology with specialization in human rights, including a documented interest in human rights, knowledge of Results-based management and fundraising, are advantages for the function. In addition extraordinary good knowledge of English and B/C/S is required. Experience from similar work is advantage as well.
Ability to take own initiatives and to work under responsibility are important personal characteristics for this function. A prerequisite is that you share human rights values and that you are strongly committed to the issues we are working with. Strong social skills are essential.
Submit a CV and motivation letter in English (including your expectations of salary) to Civil Rights Defenders via Infostud as soon as possible but no later than 21.03.2017. Applications will be evaluated continuously and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.