CHURCH WORLD SERVICE EUROPE
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Consultant to Lead Strategic Planning Process
Church World Service (CWS) is a not-for-profit organization working for a world where all have food, voice and a safe place to call home. CWS has a mandate to stand with – and for – the world’s most vulnerable people. Too often, they are children and their mothers. The people we meet are determined to rise above their circumstances and CWS is committed to providing them with support to attain self-sufficiency, dignity and security.
CWS Europe Regional office, based in Belgrade, Serbia, covers programs in four countries (Georgia, Moldova, Bosnia and Herzegovina and Serbia) and works in three main programming areas: the Roma program (includes literacy training for and the empowerment of Roma women, and safe space, education and empowerment of Roma children), the Renewable Energy Technology for the Rural Poor across the region and the Refugees and Migrants program (assisting refugees and migrants with educational opportunities and supporting first responders to offer immediate help and assistance). CWS is registered as a representative office of an INGO, Church World Service, Inc., in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
CWS Europe requires the services of a consultant with experience working with NGOs in strategic planning processes to assist in developing a strategic plan (Jul 2021 to Jun 2024). Important note: The strategic plan is expected to provide insight into the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic and new vulnerabilities that have appeared primarily in health, economic and social dimensions.
SCOPE AND METHODOLOGY
The scope and focus of the consultancy are to provide technical, strategic and facilitation support in creating a 3-year strategic plan for CWS Europe. Whilst the consultant is at liberty to propose methodology, the following steps are suggested to be included in the development process:
- Contextual background on the four countries in which CWS works (with a focus on Serbia and BiH). Background should include:
- Summary of the socio-political, socio-economic, and human rights situation in the country; recent natural disasters and humanitarian response and recovery, including government capacity to respond, and role of I/NGOs in response; particularly those CWS is responding to or that have impacted program areas; other climate or environmental factors that impact programs.
- Summary of national government priorities for development, including disaster risk reduction and climate adaptation, with an emphasis on those that align with CWS mission and/or programmatic work in the country; regional or global priorities that are relevant for the country and program, such as those articulated by regional country agreements or pacts, coalitions or networks that CWS is a part of, SDGs or other global compacts, etc.
- Strategic goals, program priorities, priority sectors and geographic areas. Information about any transitions expected within the program, such as pilots or new strategies, transitions to expanded or replication of current or previous initiatives/pilots, and transitions to activities/projects/program components that will be handed over to communities or local partners.
DELIVERABLES AND PROVISIONAL TIMEFRAME
The consultant is expected to deliver:
- A comprehensive strategic plan, in English, which will include a results and resources framework (resources needed to achieve its strategic goals - human, financial, material).
- Report on the process including stakeholder consultations and in person meeting.
Step one: completed by 3rd May 2021
An inception meeting will be organized with the consultant and key CWS staff to discuss the objectives and deliverables under this ToR, agree on the proposed work and timeframe and provide all necessary information to the consultant. Following the meeting, the inception report should outline key steps and methodology with specific deliverables and timeline.
Step two: completed by 31st May 2021
A four or five-day face to face consultant led meeting in Belgrade with four to five CWS staff and two to three partner organization staff. The consultant is expected to conduct a desk review and provide the following prior to the in-person meeting: contextual background/analysis (two pages max. per country) and government priorities (two pages max. per country).
Step three: completed by 15th June 2021
Analyze feedback from the meeting, draft the strategic plan and consult.
Step four: completed by 30th June 2021
CWS formally approves and endorses a three-year strategic plan.
Contract and Payments: A contract will be signed with selected consultant and will further detail terms, conditions and deliverables. The fee will be paid in two instalments: 30% upon signing the contract, and 70% upon receiving and approving the final report.
Roles and Responsibilities: The consultant will be contracted by and report to CWS Europe.
Copyright: All the outputs produced by the report will be treated as CWS Europe’s property and the consultant will not be able to use the report in any manner without prior permission from CWS Europe.
Policies: The CWS Code of Conduct and Child Safeguarding Policy outlines the behaviour which is expected of all employees and others associated with CWS. It is mandatory that all CWS employees and others associated with CWS sign and abide by these policies.
- Extensive experience in leading strategic planning processes with international or local NGOs and organizations;
- Proven facilitation skills and experience.
- Understanding of political, economic, social, developmental, and migration issues in Serbia and Bosnia and Herzegovina.
- Experience with delivering high-quality analytical reports.
- Excellent command of English language (written and spoken).
- Reasonable cost of service.
- Knowledge of donor landscape for CWS Europe countries and programs.
HOW TO APPLY
Please send proposals in English to electronically.
Applications should include:
- Cover letter (reflecting the applicant’s understanding of the task, explanation of the applicant’s qualifications to perform the task and stating previous experience with this type of research projects) – no more than 3 pages;
- Short proposal outlining the methodology and time frame for delivering this consultancy – no more than 2 pages;
- Cost Proposal;
- CV (not exceeding 2 pages);
- One example of a previous strategic plan;
- Two references relevant to this exercise we can contact.
For additional information or to seek clarification regarding specific portions of this ToR please feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that only selected consultants will be contacted. CWS Europe may ask for additional documents or clarifications as needed.
Church World Service
- Srbija, Beograd, Simina 19 11000 Beograd
- PIB: 104709903
- Matični broj: 17746529