The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian organization that works to protect and assist people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. To find out more about ICRC mission and its activities visit www.icrc.org.
The global communication team’s vision is a communication analytics service-based model with a data team based in Belgrade that ‘plugs in’ external tools, data sources and services that are state-of-the-art, built and maintained by experts in their fields. This means that rather than invest financial resources and time in technical builds for which we do not have the relevant expertise, we take advantage of continuous industry developments in audience profiling, communication performance, social and market research, data analytics and visualization technologies with more efficient costing and flexibility.
The Data Engineer supports and monitors data management processes within the communications métier to enable evidence-based decisions and improvements in the area of data entry, quality, support and analytics. S/he is part of a three-person team and reports to the Data Analytics Manager and who as a key member of the team, will develop a global data analytics service that enables the communication team to measure communication performance, market-test communication products, understand audiences and contribute to research activities. They are responsible for drawing from a wide range of reports, dashboards and data sources to create data visualizations, written narratives and other presentations that interpret the data sources and, by adding context and relational information (e.g. past reports, institutional information and communication, operational reports) produce comprehensive and easily understood reporting.
The Belgrade Shared Services Center is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following position: Data Engineer
Data Collection and Data Quality
- Monitors and maintains data collection pipelines (ETL) as well as cloud-based databases (Microsoft Azure, SQL)
- Assists in improving, developing & applying data quality monitoring processes & tools (dashboards, etc.) and contributes where appropriate in DQ controls automation
- Monitors data quality; controls, consolidates, cleans and implements corrective actions, and reports findings to relevant stakeholders
- Identifies, designs, and implements internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Keeps Data Management documentation updated (e.g. data catalogs, codes, etc.)
- Ensures compliance with established internal and external needs and regulations, particularly with respect to ICRC cloud strategy; understand data needs and advise ICRC on technological resources
- Collects data using web scrapers
- Develops analyses, reports and dashboards; aggregates and analyzes various data sets to provide actionable insight
- Ensures the coherence of data with related reports, particularly for institutional reporting
- Uses data to discover tasks that can be automated
- Assists communication colleagues in reflecting on their performance measures, improvements in the functional area of expertise and provides ongoing support with data and analysis
- Ensures continuity and smooth transition of data entered into various system applications
- Contributes to the development of the data model and usage of the referential data that support analysis
- Contributes to the definition of the overall testing strategy for the Information Systems
- Executes testing of data, reporting and analytical reports
- Applies best practices, standards, guidelines and templates for data management and analytics, and works on continuous improvement; develop technical solutions to improve access to data and data usage
- University degree or equivalent in business, economics, data science and management along with 3-5 years’ overall professional experience, with 3 years’ experience in market research, social network analysis or business intelligence role, or comparable field
- Knowledge of BI, ETL, cloud-based processing and storage, basic working knowledge of programming languages (R, Python, etc.), SQL, statistical packages, Tableau
- Experience with big data tools: Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, etc.
- Experience with relational databases
- Excellent command of English; knowledge of French is an asset
- Ability to interact effectively with data users, managers and other stakeholders
- Ability to understand new business processes and their interplay with software and organizational structure
WHAT WE OFFER
- Work and progressive professional development in an exciting international environment
- An inspiring opportunity to practice your profession in a multicultural organization
- Stimulating benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please send us your CV and Motivation letter exclusively in English.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.