The International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) is a neutral, impartial and independent humanitarian organization that works to protect and assist people affected by armed conflict and other situations of violence. To find out more about ICRC mission and its activities visit www.icrc.org.
The ICRC supports the economic security of individuals, households and communities affected by armed conflict by helping them to cover their essential needs and/or maintain or restore sustainable livelihoods. Staff require strong data and information collection, management, analysis and reporting practices to work efficiently and effectively to assess need, design and manage programmes and to fulfil reporting requirements.
ICRC Delegations have directly benefitted from operational data and analysis support of an IM Specialist. This “operational” support is complementary to “institutional” data management tools, and it covers all aspects considered crucial by field operations, particularly related to assessments, beneficiary management, monitoring and evaluation.
The role of the EcoSec Data Solutions Specialist is to serve as the focal point and lead service provider for the deployment of new data solutions to the field for EcoSec data and beneficiary management.
S/he is an expert in data acquisition, database administration and data science, and strong in all aspects of data management and analysis. S/he is expected to use a client-oriented approach and coordinate and collaborate with all Departments/Units within the ICRC on cross-cutting projects (i.e. community hotlines) and/or matters which their area of expertise may be concerned for, particularly the ICT Division.
The BSSC is looking for a suitable candidate to fill the following position:
Economic and Security Data Solution Specialist
Data Solutions support
Under the guidance of the Analysis & Evidence Advisor, the Regional A&E specialists and according to the needs of Delegations:
- Provide operational support to Delegations as a service
- Proactively share information useful to the EcoSec programme staff and other relevant ICRC staff particularly ICT
- Support and coach staff on data acquisition, database development and data management;
In collaboration with the Analysis & Evidence team:
- Support in the technical development and maintenance of tools for field users as well as guidance on their use
- Provide support to identifying appropriate trainings for staff in the field
- Provide surge capacity for the deployment of digital tools, particularly setting up beneficiary registration systems and hotlines, in emergencies, either remotely or ready to deploy with short notice.
- Support the maintenance and use of existing data collection and registration tools including Device Magic, RedRose and ODK
- Development and maintenance of new databases
- University degree in Computer Science or relevant field
- 5 years of experience in database development
- 3 years of experience in data management of structured and unstructured databases
- Advanced skills in MS Excel, MS Access, VBA, SQL, Python, Stata, SPSS
- 3 years experiences in assessment, monitoring and evaluation concepts and methods used in social programming
- Demonstrated ability to develop relational databases with user-friendly interfaces for use in social programming and interventions including programme monitoring and situation monitoring systems
- Experience in querying data from external data sources (data mining); developing customized reports, including static and interactive (dashboard) and mobile data collection tools such as ODK, Kobo, etc.
- Awareness of latest technologies and techniques used for data mining and data management
- Proven experience in coaching adult audiences with different levels of expertise (beginner, advanced)
- Fluency in English, both oral and written
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently throughout the year (about 10-15%) in difficult and stressful environments
- Experience in developing web applications
- Application of data management techniques for social programming
- Knowledge of key indicators used in monitoring and evaluation of social programmes
WHAT WE OFFER
- A work and progressive professional development in an exciting international environment
- An inspiring opportunity to practice your profession in a humanitarian and multicultural organization
- Stimulating benefits package
If you are interested in this position, please send us your CV and Motivation letter exclusively in English.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: 19.01.2020.