As the patent office for Europe, we support innovation, competitiveness and economic growth across Europe. If you are a highly motivated and talented professional committed to top quality service and interested in a career in an international environment driven by teamwork with exceptional individuals that share a passion for IP, then we would like to meet you.
Directorate European and International Legal Affairs, PCT contributes to the EPO's overall strategy and supports key policy projects by developing, enhancing and promoting the legal framework of the European and international patent system, including the PCT. This involves legislative work, drafting agreements and providing legal advice to EPO management, operations and users, as well as representing the EPO in external activities relating to these matters.
We are now seeking a lawyer specialised in European and international patent law.
With us you will:
- contribute to the further development and promotion of the European and international patent system
- support the EPO’s activities in the field of procedural and substantive patent law harmonisation
- drive the further development of international work-sharing schemes
- draft patent-related agreements, providing legal advice throughout their negotiation and implementation
- advise on international treaties related to patents (e.g. the PCT, Paris Convention, WTO/TRIPs, PLT) and answer any legal questions relating to international and national patent systems
- represent the EPO in meetings with external stakeholders
- draft legal opinions and documents for the President of the EPO, the Administrative Council or other official bodies of the European Patent Organisation
Apply if you have:
- thorough knowledge of European and international patent law; knowledge of international public law and EU law would be an advantage
- very good analytical skills and the ability to think and act creatively in order to develop and apply new innovative approaches to complex problems
- the ability to handle complex situations and translate them into easily digestible messages, communications and presentations
- skills in influencing and maintaining an open and co-operative atmosphere
- a high degree of commitment and a proactive approach to getting things done
- a strong service focus and proven ability to work efficiently, prioritise workflow and meet demanding deadlines
- the ability to work both independently within agreed targets and collaboratively as part of a team
- experience of working at an international level and in international team environments
- Diploma of completed studies at master's level or – in exceptional cases – equivalent professional experience
- Fully qualified lawyer specialised in European and international patent law
- Excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language (English, French and German) and the ability to understand the other two; in exceptional cases, excellent knowledge (at least C1) of one official language and working knowledge (at least B2) of another (in such cases, the willingness to learn the third language and to reach level B2 within a set time frame would be required)
- Citizenship of one of the member states of the European Patent Organisation
Apply via the “apply” button!
Job group: 4
Grade: G7 to G10 (net (basic) monthly salary* for this vacancy: EUR 5 900 to 8 300, depending on experience)
Duration of contract: Five years
Career path: Technical
Interviews planned for: Calendar week 18
* after deduction of EPO-internal tax and before deduction of staff contributions to the social security and pension schemes.
We welcome all applications for vacant positions. We consider each on its professional merits – regardless of your nationality, ethnic origin, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, parental responsibilities, age, religion or belief.