Opportunity to continue to grow your career within a team of international experts
Put your stamp on a new greenfield project with a strong digital and automation focus
Be part of a diverse, agile and talented team of experts with an active caring culture and strong teamwork
This permanent full-time position is in Belgrade. Open to international candidates.
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
About the job
We are looking for a Senior Electrical / Controls Engineer who will have the opportunity to prepare the future operation to be well designed, fit for purpose, capable and ready for commissioning and ramp up post construction. It provides an exciting opportunity to join the organization while it’s still being designed and develop a deep level of understanding and ownership in the future business.
The primary purpose of this role is to provide discipline engineering perspective to the project with focus on the future operation. The Senior Engineer will focus on specific areas including operability and maintainability, electrical and controls systems specifications and standardization, and technology & automation strategies for the underground mine and processing plant.
Reporting to the Asset Management Lead, the Senior Engineer:
- Provides fundamental technical and engineering support to the Jadar Operational Readiness program and is key liaison to engineering and design teams for electrical engineering, controls, technology and automation
- Supports the development of establishing equipment purchase and engineering standards for the future operation’s (mine and plant) electrical and control systems
- Works with Design and Engineering teams to develop Jadar automation specification
- Works with Processing team to develop process control requirements and specifications to meet objectives outlined in Jadar business case
- Jadar technology and automation roadmap and strategy
- Works with detailed designers to apply purchasing and engineering standards as well as provide simplification and integration strategies to reduce the complexity and redundancy of the future mine and plant
- Develops vision for operator simulation program and platform
- Develops vision for Jadar Digital Asset and Digital Delivery strategies
- P&ID reviews on behalf of the future operation
- Supports the development of key aspects of the Jadar Asset Management program
- Reviews commercial packages for key pieces of equipment in the proposed flow sheet with emphasis on electrical / controls equipment
- Participates in design and layout reviews with an emphasis on operability and maintainability
- Supports and monitors the implementation and compliance to Group discipline specific engineering standards/performance standards and associated assurance
- Works with contracted engineering design services to establish and reinforce specific design criteria as the design of the future operation moves from feed to detailed engineering
- Provides technical input to a variety of trade off studies relating to both the mine (dewatering, ventilation, etc.) and processing plant (process control, standards, automation)
What You’ll Bring
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Strong safety mindset
- Degree in Electrical Engineering (or equivalent)
- 5+ years’ experience with process controls, electrical engineering, automation on large scale projects and/or operations
- Experience with chemical and mineral processing, and underground mining. Extensive experience with electrical and automation/controls on large scale operations and/or projects.
- Ability to interpret and apply a variety of highly specialized and technical documents, concepts, theories to the Jadar Project
- Fundamental understanding of industry equipment functionality and operation in underground mines and processing facilities
- Proven ability to coordinate, plan, schedule and track activities in a highly complex and dynamic project environment
- project management and controls expertise
Where you will be working
The Jadar Project is a world-class lithium borate deposit discovered by Rio Tinto in 2004. It is a unique deposit near the town of Loznica, Serbia, containing jadarite – a new lithium sodium boro silicate mineral. Jadar is the only place in the world where this mineral can be found. Incidentally, jadarite has a similar chemical composition to the fictional kryptonite of Superman fame. Jadar has been ranked as one of the most significant lithium deposits in the world and if developed, has the potential to supply a substantial amount of the global demand for lithium and boric acid.
Jadar is a combined mine and mineral processing greenfield project. When developed, Jadar will be a modern underground mine with efficient processing plant and sustainable waste facilities.
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- International relocation package
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Aluminium for cars and smartphones. Copper for wind turbines, electric cars and the pipes that bring water to our home. Iron ore to shape our city skylines. Borates that help crops grow, titanium for paint – and diamonds that celebrate the best things in life.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23