- Join an international leader in mining & metals offering outstanding personal development & career opportunities
- Be part of a diverse, agile and talented team of experts with an active caring culture and strong teamwork
- Role based in Belgrade, Serbia
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for a tenacious Senior Water Management Engineer who will oversee water and solute balance during detailed design, construction and operation and provide expert advice to the project design team. The scope of the role covers ground water inflows into the mine, the mine and the surface infrastructure water balances, including the inflows and the discharge of treated waters from site. GoldSim is the project tool to evaluate rainfall events and the impact on the water balance and corresponding infrastructure. In this role, you will also champion the impact of climate change related to annual precipitations and assess the model for the life of the mine.
Reporting to the Manager Mine Technical Services, you will be responsible for:
- Responsible for installation of water monitoring systems at various sources on surface at the project site and during operation.
- Managing collection of data from various stakeholders and review of data quality obtained and provide feedback on implications to key project stakeholders.
- Managing use of collected data by various engineering service providers who are providing project design and be the single source of project water management related data.
- Identifying inefficiencies in the proposed water management systems, identifying problems in the water and solute balance model and provide recommendations for improving the business case.
- Identifying potential risks and conflicts with permitting and approvals process and in particular understand the constraints that permit conditions will have on the process design.
- Setup to take over responsibility for water and solute modeling and update models in execution phase and beyond into operations.
- Generate hydrology model and update Goldsim model with new data input to integrate surface water balance with mine development and following up on any exceptional water strikes / flows reported through different phases of the project and prepare and execute plans to mitigate.
- Oversee water flow mitigation program on surface and during the development phase of the project by generating grout pattern designs when necessary, tracking and monitoring inflows require flowmeters and keeping inflow and water storage drawings updated.
- Generate overall plan to reduce impact of seasonal surface and mine flooding by developing short / long term plans to reduce / eliminate problem.
- Oversee operational dewatering system and work with process plant and mine operations to construct, trouble shoot and make system work.
- Generate weekly, monthly mine water plans, drawings and reports.
What you’ll bring
- Solid knowledge of water/solute modelling and model set up
- Experience in complex operational industrial water and solute facilities
- Experience in optimization of mine and plant systems
- Experience with GoldSim and hydrological modelling software will be highly regarded,
- Bachelor degree in Engineering (chemical, civil, hydrological) or Science (geology)
- Ideally 8+ years of experience in similar role
- An excellent communicator of technical issues to non-technical stakeholders
- Proficiency in English with knowledge of Serbian language will be great asset
Where you will be working
The Jadar Project is a world-class lithium-borate deposit discovered by Rio Tinto in 2004. Jadar is a unique deposit near the town of Loznica, Serbia. It contains Jadarite - a new lithium sodium borosilicate mineral. Jadar is the only place in the world where this mineral can be found. Jadar has been ranked as one of the largest lithium deposits in the world with a potential to supply a significant amount of the global demand for lithium and boric acid. If developed, Jadar will be a modern underground mine with efficient processing and shipping facilities.
The project’s team office is in Belgrade, Serbia, a cosmopolitan European Capital on the Danube River.
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they We are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23