The European Bank for Reconstruction and Development was founded in 1991 when communism was crumbling in Europe and ex-Soviet countries needed support to nurture a new private sector and democracy. Today we invest to help build market economies from central Europe to central Asia and the southern and eastern Mediterranean. We are now the largest single investor in our region. Owned by 69 countries and two intergovernmental institutions, we provide project financing for banks, industries and businesses. We also work with publicly owned companies to support privatisation, restructure state-owned firms and improve municipal services. Wherever we are active, we promote policies that bolster the business climate.
The Principal Banker will be dedicated to support the activity of the Enterprise Expansion Fund ( ENEF) and its successor fund, ENEF II.
ENEF is a fund set up to support local SMEs and Corporates in seven countries in the Western Balkans (Serbia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Croatia, Albania, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia) by providing finance and technical assistance to promote development and expansion. The fund is advised by the EBRD which also provides parallel co-financing through its Direct Financing Framework (DFF).
ENEF constitutes one of the pillars of the Western Balkans Enterprise Development and Innovation Facility (EDIF) an initiative of the EU, the EBRD and the EIB.
The Principal Banker will work under the supervision of the Associate Director responsible for ENEF and, on a project by project basis, will work in close coordination and partnership with the Heads of Resident Offices (ROs) and ROs Directors, other RO bankers, relevant sector teams bankers and EBRD bankers in HQ.
Fluency (verbal and written) in the Serbian language is essential.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- Structuring and Execution
- Portfolio Monitoring, Value Creation and Reporting
- Policy Dialogue
- Business Development
- Staff Management
The responsibilities of the Principal Banker are designed to allow for the development of transaction expertise and expansion of responsibilities, leading to assuming the role of Senior Banker.
Plesae visit our website for further details of this role.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree. Master’s degree preferred or equivalent experience in the areas of expertise.
- Professional qualifications such as ACA, CFA, ACCA, or CIMA desirable.
- Strong quantitative/numerical skills are critical with the ability to interpret financial information and to design and use financial models.
- Credit analysis skills, with the ability to interpret accounts, understanding local and international accounting principles and practice of credit analysis.
- Computer literacy, conversant with Microsoft Office and spread sheet packages including financial analysis and modeling modules.
- Excellent understanding of relevant systems and processes.
- Stakeholder management skills.
- Coaching, mentoring & leadership skills.
- Relationship management and negotiation skills.
- Ability to work to deadlines and under time pressure.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Good command over the local/country language is an advantage.
Experience & Knowledge:
- Significant relevant financial industry experience from an investment or commercial bank, private equity firm, asset management firm, or auditing/financial consulting firm operating to international standards.
- Practical experience of participating in and leading complex transactions through the full project life cycle.
- Relevant industry/country (as applicable) experience might be mandatory, including understanding of country/regional/sector dynamics and trends – depending on the specifics of the position.
We believe that hard work deserves great rewards. We offer competitive base salaries and annual performance-based bonuses. Permanent staff can enjoy addition benefits such as medical insurance, generous and flexible annual leave options, retirement benefits, reduced gym membership rates and staff discounts at a wide array of retailers.
We recognize the challenges of working far from home, so if you move from another country to take up a post with us, we’ll help by providing ongoing assistance and relocation allowance.