- Join an international leader in mining & metals offering outstanding personal development & career opportunities
- Be part of a diverse, agile and talented team of experts with an active caring culture and strong teamwork
- Role based in Belgrade, Serbia
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
We are looking for an Environmental Advisor will be providing support for the implementation of Rio Tinto Environmental standard, Serbian and EU regulation, focusing primarily on implementation and maintenance field activities, related to environment and community issues. The work will be conducted in close cooperation with the Environment, Communities and Land Acquisition teams.
Reporting to the Principal Advisor Environment, you will:
- Assist the Principal Advisor to manage the field data acquisition activities, contributing environment content to the project studies and ultimately ensuring project design and execution plans meet environmental requirements;
- Assist the Principal Adviser Environmental to coordination and administration of environmental processes as well as ensuring compliance with government regulations, applicable EU regulations and RT standards
- Assist in the implementation of all aspects of environmental procedures
- Provide support in supervising and coordinating work of the contractors, operators, primarily related to the implementation of activities related to the environmental activities
- Leading by example, provide mentoring and training to other contractors and operators
- Enter and retrieve data from computer spreadsheets, databases and maintaining records of process operation, performance and activities.
- Support the provision of GIS and general cartographic services
- Under direction from the Senior Environmental Adviser ensure proper recording and follow up of environmental complaints;
- Under direction of the Senior Environmental Adviser maintain environmental records and upload information to the Jadar project data base;
- Assist with addressing any issues related to environmental concerns raised by the communities in relation to the ongoing or planned activities at Jadar;
- Communicates regularly with key local stakeholders including site management, supervisors, operational employees and external contacts within the community regarding environmental targets, plans and performance improvement.
- local community and stakeholder issues in close cooperation with the Senior Environmental Adviser & CSP advisor/Superintendent communities
- Assists with organisation of the Community/Environmental meetings and consultations taking care of technical and coordination aspects
What you’ll bring
- Safety mindset
- Undergraduate level in environmental or engineering science (with experience, in the mining or processing context an advantage)
- Minimum four years completing monitoring programs
- Minimum of EIA process understanding and understand mitigation measures
- Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in teams under changing circumstances.
- Proficiency in using GIS, MapInfo and Access
- Proficiency in both English and Serbian.
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
Where you will be working
The Jadar Project is a world-class lithium-borate deposit discovered by Rio Tinto in 2004. Jadar is a unique deposit near the town of Loznica, Serbia. It contains Jadarite - a new lithium sodium borosilicate mineral. Jadar is the only place in the world where this mineral can be found. Jadar has been ranked as one of the largest lithium deposits in the world with a potential to supply a significant amount of the global demand for lithium and boric acid. If developed, Jadar will be a modern underground mine with efficient processing and shipping facilities.
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23