The World Bank Group office in Belgrade, Serbia is looking for a dynamic and highly motivated candidate with outstanding interpersonal skills and ability to interact with an extensive network of contacts, for the following position:
About the World Bank Group:
Established in 1944, the WBG is one of the world’s largest sources of funding and knowledge for development solutions. In fiscal year 2018, the WBG committed $67 billion in loans, grants, equity investments and guarantees to its members and private businesses, of which $24 billion was concessional finance to its poorest members. It is governed by 188-member countries and delivers services out of 120 offices with nearly 15,000 staff located globally.
The WBG consists of five specialized institutions: the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), the International Development Association (IDA), the International Finance Corporation (IFC), the Multilateral Investment Guarantee Agency (MIGA), and the International Centre for the Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID). The World Bank is organized into six client-facing Regional Vice-Presidencies, several corporate functions and thirteen Global Practices to bring best-in-class knowledge and solutions to regional and country clients.
Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice (GP)
Sustainable environment and natural resources management (ENRM) is at the heart of the WBG's poverty agenda. Biodiversity and natural resources constitute the social safety net of the poor, representing a food bank and often their only source of livelihood. Sustainable ENRM promotes a green, clean, and resilient world where natural resources – from forests to fisheries, freshwater, oceans, coastal zones and ecosystems – are managed to support livelihoods and strong economies. Sustainable ENRM builds a world better prepared for shocks and global challenges, helping countries limit their exposure to resource scarcity, more-volatile weather patterns, and the long-term consequences of climate change.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy (ENB) Global Practice has been set-up to deliver on the opportunities, benefits and outcomes offered by enhanced management of the environment and natural resources. The ENB GP has close to 300 operations under management, representing $7 billion, and a growing pipeline of new investments under active development.
The Environment, Natural Resources and Blue Economy Global Practice has two key functions:
- Provides clients with lending and non-lending services aimed to support the GP’s three core business lines, namely: (i) Forests, Watersheds and Sustainable Landscapes; (ii) Marine, Coastal and Aquatic Resources; and (iii) Pollution Management and Environmental Health. The GP’s activities also include a focus on Clean and Resilient Growth through its work on environmental economics and support to institutional development.
- Supports effective environmental risk management and sustainability by managing risk at the project level and creating opportunities to advance sustainable development, in a large part through the implementation of the Bank’s environmental policies, such Safeguards Policies for investment projects with concept notes approved before October 1, 2018 and Environmental and Social Framework (ESF) for all other investment projects. The ESF is made up of the World Bank’s vision for sustainable development, the World Bank’s Environmental and Social Policy for Investment Project Financing, and ten Environmental and Social Standards (ESS). These set out the mandatory requirements for the World Bank, in relation to the projects it supports through Investment Project Financing (IPF), and for Borrowers.
ENB GP consists of 10 regional units mapped to 6 world regions and one global unit. ENB GP is part of the Sustainable Development Practice Group. The ENR GP unit in the Europe and Central Asia Sustainable Development group (SCAEN) is seeking to recruit an Environmental Specialist with skills in environmental impact assessment, environmental management, climate change mitigation and /or adaptation screening and/or Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) in the Belgrade office. The selected specialist will report to Practice Manager of the Europe and Central Asia Unit of ENB GP, located in Washington DC, and will join a team of about 30 staff, half of which are based in various ECA countries. The specialist will also work closely with Country Manager and staff in the Bank’s Belgrade office.
For details of the assignment, please look at the application link provided below.
- Advanced degree (Master’s or equivalent) in environmental science, natural resources management, environmental or civil engineering, or other relevant disciplines (e.g. applied natural sciences).
- 5+ years of proven, relevant experience (work or applied research) as an environmental assessment and management professional.
- Good analytical skills, ability to think strategically, analyze and synthesize diverse qualitative and quantitative environmentally-related data and information.
- Ability to manage and follow up on multiple work-streams simultaneously.
- Ability and willingness to travel frequently is required.
- Ability to work well with a range of stakeholders, including project-affected parties, government officials, non-governmental organizations / civil society, as well as project investors and their staff.
- Familiarity with World Bank’s safeguards policies, ESF and/or IFC’s Performance Standards /MIGA Environmental and Social policies or similar standards would be an advantage. Knowledge of United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change, and Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change GHG accounting methodologies, or similar standards, is a plus.
- Ability to communicate ideas clearly and confidently, articulate issues and recommend solutions.
- Excellent verbal and written English and Serbian skills are essential.
- Good team player who can work as a member of a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural team, motivate and lead group efforts and network effectively across boundaries.
The World Bank Group values diversity and encourages all qualified candidates who are nationals of World Bank Group member countries to apply, regardless of gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Interested candidates should apply for the position on-line by 24.09.2019.
Click here to submit your application.
Kancelarija Svetske Banke za Srbiju
- Srbija, Beograd, Bulevar kralja Aleksandra 86, 6. sprat
- PIB: 103974259
- Matični broj: 06000029