Operational Readiness Mechanical Engineer
Opportunity to continue to grow your career within a team of international experts
Put your stamp on a new greenfield project with a strong digital and automation focus
Be part of a diverse, agile and talented team of experts with an active caring culture and strong teamwork
This permanent full-time position is located in Belgrade
About the role
We are looking for an Operational Readiness Mechanical Engineer who you will be responsible for providing discipline engineering perspective to the project with a focus on the future operation.
Reporting to the Manager, Operational Readiness, you will be responsible for developing, applying and improving sustainable engineering discipline standards that govern the management of the organization’s physical assets through an asset’s entire lifecycle.
The OR Mechanical Engineer will have the opportunity to prepare the future operation to be well designed, fit for purpose, capable and ready for commissioning and ramp up post construction. It provides an exciting opportunity to join the organization while it’s still being designed and develop a deep level of understanding and ownership in the future business.
Key focus areas include operability and maintainability, equipment specifications and standardization, layout and design support for both the mine and chemical plant.
More specifically, you will:
- Provide fundamental engineering support to the Jadar Operational Readiness program
- Participate in design and layout reviews with an emphasis on operability and maintainability
- Support the development of key aspects of the Jadar Asset Management program
- Reviews commercial packages for key pieces of equipment in the proposed flow sheet
- Support the development of establishing equipment purchase and engineering standards for the future operation (mine and plant)
- Support and monitors the implementation and compliance to Group discipline specific engineering standards/performance standards and associated assurance
- Work with contracted engineering design services to establish and reinforce specific design criteria as the design of the future operation moves from feed to detailed engineering
- Provide technical input to a variety of trade off studies
You will also:
- Comply with the law, The way we work and other Rio Tinto policies and standards;
- Conduct business with integrity;
- Undertake compliance training in accordance with requirements; and
- Report compliance concerns, issues and incidents.
- Promote HSE in all areas of the project
- Support and promote active caring project culture and teamwork
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Strong safety mindset
- A College or University Degree in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Industrial mining and/or processing experience. Experience with chemical and mineral processing, pumping, refining and material handling (liquid & powders) systems and equipment.
- Project management experience.
- Effective writing and oral communication skills in Serbian and in English will be needed.
You will be required to demonstrate highly developed problem solving skills to resolve complex engineering issues to meet the demands of the technical, schedule and cost related aspects of the Operational Readiness plan and associated work packages.
Where you will be working
The Jadar Project is a world-class lithium borate deposit discovered by Rio Tinto in 2004. It is a unique deposit near the town of Loznica, Serbia, containing jadarite - a new lithium sodium borosilicate mineral. Jadar is the only place in the world where this mineral can be found. Incidentally, jadarite has a similar chemical composition to the fictional kryptonite of Superman fame. Jadar has been ranked as one of the most significant lithium deposits in the world and if developed, has the potential to supply a substantial amount of the global demand for lithium and boric acid.
Jadar is a combined mine and mineral processing greenfield project. When developed, Jadar will be a modern underground mine with efficient processing plant and sustainable waste facilities.
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Aluminium for cars and smartphones. Copper for wind turbines, electric cars and the pipes that bring water to our home. Iron ore to shape our city skylines. Borates that help crops grow, titanium for paint – and diamonds that celebrate the best things in life.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.
All progress begins with pioneers – at Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23