- Join an international leader in mining & metals offering outstanding personal development & career opportunities
- Key role representing the future mine operation
- Be part of a diverse, agile and talented team of experts with an active caring culture and strong teamwork
- Full-time role based in Belgrade
About the role
All progress begins with pioneers. At Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
The Jadar Project will be a world class mining and mineral processing operation in northwest Serbia that will ultimately mine, process, (externally) package and distribute refined industrial mineral products to a range of customers with varying end uses. This is a Greenfield project in rural area in a country new to Rio Tinto. The operation will produce boric acid products to complement the existing business of Rio Tinto Borates based in the US, lithium carbonate products for battery and other industrial applications and sodium sulphate products for regional detergent and soap applications.
The Jadar project commenced the feasibility study in Aug 2020. The project business strategy is to develop Jadar as a core, Tier 1 asset with synergies with Rio Tinto Business, enabling a green future and creating value for both Rio Tinto and Serbia. The project execution goal is to derive maximum value from Jadar for its stakeholder, while also delivering on the promised outcomes. The current schedule has the Jadar project under review for approval for Execution in Q4 2020.
In the study phase, the Jadar Mine Manager defines the operating philosophy for all mine related operations, both surface and underground that is safe, efficient and complies with all internal and external standards and regulations. This includes mine operations, backfill and maintenance but excludes mine technical services such as mine planning and geotechnical engineering. Close management of the mine related risks in the Jadar risk register is also a key focus of the role.
In the operational phase, the Jadar Mine Manager is responsible for all operational aspects of the UG and surface mine operations. This includes HSE performance, ore and waste production, productivity, costs, labor and interfacing closely with the mine tech services function to execute mine plans against the schedule.
The Mine Manager role represents the future mine operation and will have the accountability and authority to perform the following activities:
- Establish the operating philosophy and strategy (linked to Jadar Business Strategy) for the future Underground (UG) mine and surface operations to meet the objectives outlined in the Jadar business case that are related to the mine operation
- Establish an operating culture that is consistent with and reinforces Rio Tinto Priorities, Values and desired Behaviors
- Own and actively manage mining related risks in the Jadar Risk Register
- Support the study process to define the specifications and requirements for the UG mine to be met by the project engineering, design and construction teams – items related to operability and maintainability
- Develop the organizational structure and design for the UG mine including skills register, shift, rostering and headcount planning
- Develop mine operational management plans such as ventilation, backfill, geotech, explosives & blasting, grade control, access roads & UG traffic
- Oversee the development of a mine operating cost model and operating budget with ownership of key inputs such as productivity, fleet, labor assumptions, input pricing for consumables, etc. – recognizing here that many of the “variable” aspects of the mine cost model are derived in the mine planning space by the Study Team
- Perform evaluations and strategy for key mine activities such as contract mining, backfill operations and explosive management – again largely supported by Study Team
- Fleet selection and associated assumptions such as availability, effective utilization, operating costs, etc. – diesel – electric trade off study in FS to be led by Study Team but ultimate fleet selection is responsibility of Operations Team with support from the Underground COE and Rio Tinto Procurement
- Develop the technology and automation roadmap for the mine operations with the obvious need to integrate into the broader Jadar technology strategy – will require benchmarking with OT, Resolution, Diavik, etc. and UG COE
- Establish the supply chain relationships for mine consumables including explosives, ground support, aggregate, etc.
What you’ll bring
- Safety Mindset
- Degree in Mine Engineering (or equivalent)
- Proven experience in a mining operating environment with underground experience
- Underground mining and operational management experience. Deep knowledge of underground mining techniques and operations including development, drill and blast, load and haul, fleet, ground support, backfill, etc.
- Leadership experience at multiple levels
- Experience with mining, mineral processing and material handling equipment
- Extensive experience working on large, complex projects / operations is a clear advantage
- Fluency in Serbian and English
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
About Rio Tinto
Every idea, every innovation, every little thing the world calls ‘progress’ begins with a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors, entrepreneurs. Pioneers.
For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a company of pioneers – generations of people spanning the globe, all with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human progress.
Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney. Our aluminium – the world’s first to be certified “responsible” – helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world and explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.
Every Voice Matters
At Rio Tinto, we particularly welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women, the LGBTQIA+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and people from different cultural backgrounds.
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they We are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23