Join an international leader in mining & metals offering outstanding personal development & career opportunities
Put your stamp on this new greenfield underground project that features twin shaft construction
Full-time role based in Belgrade
About the role
The Principal Underground Geotechnical Engineer will develop and manage Feasibility study geotechnical outcomes to deliver best practice, timely and insightful, geotechnical recommendations to the mine engineering and operations teams to execute the project.
You will ensure that geotechnical engineering systems including design and monitoring are robust, fit for purpose and consistent with industry best practice. This role requires close collaboration with external and internal stakeholders, leveraging industry expertise.
- Reporting to the Mining Lead – Jadar. you will be responsible to:
- Develop geotechnical modelling scopes and engage external expertise
- Develop the Jadar ground control management plan
- Provide regular recommendations to the Mine Engineering and operational team on ground support requirements for each phase of mine design.
- Provide recommendations to mine engineering on stable stoping design dimensions, stope dilution performance and backfill performance.
- Develop, update and continuously calibrate a ground stress model to inform the GCMP, escalating any threats to mine stability, as data are gathered.
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- Bachelor Degree in Geotechnical Engineering.
- Minimum of 10 years’ technical underground mining experience.
- Demonstrated ability to assist in the development and implement a world class GCMP for underground development, construction and production operations.
- Demonstrated ability to implement and manage continuous improvement processes
- Capability to lead a small geological and geotechnical team and draw functions together to ensure best outcome delivery of information to the project
- Excellent technical communication skills.
Where you will be working :
The Jadar project is a greenfield Underground mine and process plant development located approximately 40km south-east of Loznica, Serbia. An underground mine, comprising of a production shaft, exhaust shaft, development levels, access to production stopes, mobile mining equipment and associated infrastructure. The process plant is designed to produce boric acid, lithium carbonate and sodium sulfate.
Jadar project commenced the feasibility study in Aug 2020. The project business strategy is to develop Jadar as a core, Tier 1 asset with synergies with Rio Tinto Business, enabling a green future and creating value for both Rio Tinto and Serbia. The project execution goal is to derive maximum value from Jadar for its stakeholders, while also delivering on the promised outcomes.
What we offer
- Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
Where you will be working
The Jadar Project is a world-class lithium-borate deposit discovered by Rio Tinto in 2004. Jadar is a unique deposit near the town of Loznica, Serbia. It contains Jadarite - a new lithium sodium borosilicate mineral. Jadar is the only place in the world where this mineral can be found. Jadar has been ranked as one of the largest lithium deposits in the world with a potential to supply a significant amount of the global demand for lithium and boric acid. If developed, Jadar will be a modern underground mine with efficient processing and shipping facilities.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.
All progress begins with pioneers – at Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23