Project Associate (NPSA-6) (80% part-time), 4 posts
UNDP is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms of gender, nationality and culture. Individuals from minority groups, indigenous groups and persons with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
UNDP does not tolerate sexual exploitation and abuse, any kind of harassment, including sexual harassment, and discrimination. All selected candidates will, therefore, undergo rigorous reference and background checks.
Over the past 10 years, Serbia has made progress in modernizing its strategic and regulatory framework to support development of the information society.
With digital transformation of the national economy and public administration high on the government's agenda, Serbia has a future-proofed its administration’s capability for rapid deployment of cost-effective, secure and citizen-focused e-services, and coordinated implementation of ICT (Information and Communications Technology) policies. First steps have been made with the establishment of the central Office for IT and e-Government (ITE) and strengthening of the Ministerial Council for IT and Innovative Entrepreneurship.
This project aims to support the efforts to build internal capacities of the ITE for effective coordination and implementation of the digital government strategy, providing support to other institutions in introducing e services, building a common ICT infrastructure and shared services, and maintaining close relations with the key stakeholders and the public. As the ITE has also received an additional mandate for operationally delivering a part of the IT Council and Creative Industries Council agendas, this project aims at supporting the efforts of these councils at enhancing the digital transformation of Serbia’s economy, in particular through increasing human capital, enhancing the regulatory framework and implementing innovative solutions.
Serbia was the first country in the region to develop and adopt the Artificial Intelligence (AI) strategy for the period 2020-2025 and to established the Institute for AI.
In order to maximize the results in this area of emerging technologies and provide government, businesses and citizen with the best possible services and skills it is crucial to leverage the advantage of this technology in all respective areas. It is expected that the rapid development in the AI would lead to economic growth, improvement of public services and development of future ready workforce.
The newly established AI institute would lead the development of AI and provide the ground for rapid development of innovations and start up ecosystem and attract the new investment.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitating and coordinating institutional and legal support offered to the national partner and the Government of Serbia;
- Facilitating and coordinating the support offered to institutions implementing AI use cases in priority sectors, including supervision of a team of consultants, design of public outreach, training and other capacity building activities as well as development of knowledge products;
- Reviewing relevant action plans of institutions participating in project implementation;
Ensure timely and adequate implementation of activities according to the project activity plan and effective delivery of results;
- Elaborating and facilitating required institutional and other agreements with the national partner and specific public institutions launching AI-related initiatives on the national and sub-national levels; supporting effective work of the AI Implementation Unit within ITE;
- Providing support to development and operational management of grants, incubation, and challenge programs;
- Support implementation of a range of activities, including policy advice, technical support, events, facilitation of working groups, and support to the growth of the nascent AI ecosystem in Serbia;
- Actively seek out emerging actors and new potential partners on all levels;
- Support engagement of leading national and international experts and institutions to support efficient delivery of results;
- Prepare presentations of project findings and results for distributions to key policy-makers and opinion leaders.
Partnership building support:
- Maintain good cooperation and coordination between national counterparts, project partners and other relevant stakeholders;
- Maintain regular contacts with beneficiaries and service providers to ensure relevance and quality of project outputs;
- Support activities related to assessing capacities and needs of government organizations and partners, in close collaboration with national counterparts at both central and local level;
- Support in ensuring full commitment of project partners to successful implementation of the project.
- Designing and organizing relevant and innovative AI-related events, such as workshops, conferences, or community meetups;
- Providing inputs for drafting terms of reference for consultants and project staff as needed;
- Participation in and organization of meetings, training sessions, conferences, and public events;
- Maintain registry with contacts;
- Facilitating knowledge building and knowledge sharing within the projects;
- Performing other duties, as required.
Project Associate will work under the overall guidance and direct supervision of the Portfolio Manager of the Competitiveness and Digital Governance.
- Experience in teamwork and coordination of complex projects/processes that included extensive communication, coordination and facilitation requirements;
- Experience in partnership building at international, national, regional and local level;
- Experience working in an international organization will be considered as an asset.
- Experience in organizational activities;
- Evidence of ability to express ideas clearly and to work independently and in teams;
- Demonstrates a sense of self-assuredness combined with cultural and gender sensitivities;
- Proficiency in the usage of computers and office software packages (MS Word, Excel, etc.) and knowledge of spreadsheet and database packages, experience in handling of web-based management systems;
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
Desired additional skills and competencies
- Understanding of Serbia's political, institutional and socio-economic situation;
- Familiarity with current policies and legislation in the field of Artificial Intelligence;
- Familiarity with the main governmental, non-governmental and international actors in the field of AI will be considered an asset.
Required Skills and Experience
- Secondary Education.
- Bachelor’s degree in information technology, mathematics, political science, public policy, economics, international relations or a related field would be desirable, but it is not a requirement.
- 6 years of work experience preferably in coordinating and/or assisting projects in some of the priority sectors (medicine, energy, telecommunications, transport/mobility, smart cities, education, agriculture, justice/ethics, security, environment, public administration).
- Alternatively, if in possession of Bachelor’s Degree, 3 years of relevant work experience would be required.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken Serbian and English.
- The position is based in Belgrade, however potential official travel might occur.
As this position is under National Personnel Services Agreement (NPSA) modality, only applicants with Serbian nationality or valid working permit in Serbia will be considered for the vacancy.
Short-listed candidates will be requested to provide, prior to the interview:
Personal CV or P11, indicating all past positions held and their main underlying functions, their durations (month/year), the qualifications, as well as the contact details (email and telephone number) of the Candidate, and at least three (3) the most recent professional references of previous supervisors. References may also include peers.
A cover letter (maximum length: 1 page) indicating why the candidate considers him-/herself to be suitable for the position.
Managers may ask (ad hoc) for any other materials relevant to pre-assessing the relevance of their experience, such as reports, presentations, publications, campaigns, or other materials.
Important information for US Permanent Residents ('Green Card' holders)
Under US immigration law, acceptance of a staff position with UNDP, an international organization, may have significant implications for US Permanent Residents. UNDP advises applicants for all professional level posts that they must relinquish their US Permanent Resident status and accept a G-4 visa, or have submitted a valid application for US citizenship prior to commencement of employment.
UNDP is not in a position to provide advice or assistance on applying for US citizenship and therefore applicants are advised to seek the advice of competent immigration lawyers regarding any applications.
Applicant information about UNDP rosters
Note: UNDP reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNDP at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.
The United Nations does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.