- Join an international leader in mining & metals offering outstanding personal development & career opportunities
- Put your stamp on this new greenfield underground project, supporting the design, the construction and the future operations
- Full-time role based in Belgrade
About the role
The Senior Tailings engineer will be accountable for the design and approval of the process plant and waste storage facilities.
You will provide tailings management and geotechnical(tailings and water dams) advice to support the design, construction and future operation of the Jadar Industrial Waste and water dams.
Reporting to the Study Manager, you will be responsible to:
- Ownership of the design criteria for the areas of Industrial Waste and Water Storage facilities
- Identify and ensure management actions in place for all material risks
- Input to the design of facilities and interface with design engineers and review teams
- Ensure the waste and water facilities demonstrate compliance with Rio Tinto D5 ‘Management of tailings and water storage’ Standard.
- Review management of change requests relating to tailings and water storage facilities
- Maintain the Tailings Management Plan, the Operating, Monitoring and Maintenance Manual, risk register, and trigger, action,response plans
- Provide governance against internal and external standards across the business.
- Undertake studies for future tailings storage facilities
- Once the project enters execution ensure construction conforms to Rio Tinto D5 standard
- Post execution the role will take responsibility for the safe and efficient operation of tailings and water storage facilities
To be successfully considered for this role, you will have:
- A Bachelor's Degree in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering
- Minimum of 5-7 years tailings storage facility design, construction, operations and closure of tailings and water storage facilities, related experience in technical and operational roles.
- Excellent communication skills in both Serbian and English (written and oral)
- Awareness of national and international guidelines (ANCOLD, ICOLD, MAC, CDA, USBR
- Expertise in geotechnical investigation analyses and design relating to tailings storage facilities and associated infrastructure.
- Experience with different mineral, tailings and water processing and handling technologies.
- Successfully managed and delivered projects on time and within budget.
- In-depth understanding of the functional area and a track record of finding practical and innovative solutions to multi-faceted technical problems.
- Management of geotechnical laboratory outputs
Where you will be working
The Jadar project is a greenfield Underground mine and process plant development located approximately 40km south-east of Loznica, Serbia. An underground mine, comprising of a production shaft, exhaust shaft, development levels, access to production stopes, mobile mining equipment and associated infrastructure. The process plant is designed to produce boric acid, lithium carbonate and sodium sulfate.
Jadar project commenced the feasibility study in Aug 2020. The project business strategy is to develop Jadar as a core, Tier 1 asset with synergies with Rio Tinto Business, enabling a green future and creating value for both Rio Tinto and Serbia. The project execution goal is to derive maximum value from Jadar for its stakeholders, while also delivering on the promised outcomes.
What we offer
Here is just a glimpse of our industry leading rewards package:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- A competitive salary package with annual cash incentive awards (STIP) for eligible employees
- Career development & education assistance to further your ambitions
- Access to top tier family-friendly health and medical programs
- Excellent retirement plan
- A comprehensive leave policy that covers all moments that matter in life (vacation/annual, paid parental leave, short term sick leave, paid holidays)
- Ongoing individual wellbeing support for you and your family for personal and professional matter
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program
Where you will be working
The Jadar Project is a world-class lithium-borate deposit discovered by Rio Tinto in 2004. Jadar is a unique deposit near the town of Loznica, Serbia. It contains Jadarite - a new lithium sodium borosilicate mineral. Jadar is the only place in the world where this mineral can be found. Jadar has been ranked as one of the largest lithium deposits in the world with a potential to supply a significant amount of the global demand for lithium and boric acid. If developed, Jadar will be a modern underground mine with efficient processing and shipping facilities.
As pioneers in mining and metals, we produce materials essential to human progress.
Our long history is filled with firsts. We’ve developed some of the world’s largest and best quality mines and operations, and our people work in around 35 countries across six continents. Aluminium and copper, diamonds, gold and industrial minerals, iron ore and uranium: our materials make up the world around us. You’ll find them in smartphones, planes, cars, hospitals and throughout your home.
Every Voice Matters
We are committed to an inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard, all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not only welcome – they are essential to our success. We treat each other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender, nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or anything else that makes us different.
Please note, in order to be successfully considered for this role you must complete all pre-screening questions.
We are seeking to increase the diversity across our operations in order to improve equal opportunity outcomes for our employees and encourage female applicants to apply.
All progress begins with pioneers – at Rio Tinto, it begins with you.
- Srbija, Beograd, Resavska 23